Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Insomnia Rules

And I don't mean that in a good way. Anyway, here I am. Sarah is not my actual name but what I might have been named, after my mother's best friend who had died some time before I was born. My father didn't want my mother to be sad (or at least that's the story) so I was named something different. It's all part of that mysterious past, a younger mother that I didn't know and her attachment to the mysterious Sarah, who she roomed with, along with their two babies, during the war when their husbands were overseas.

Actually there was even another name before Sarah, a name that was officially on my birth certificate and then changed. I'll save that one for later, perhaps--but that one was changed because of my grandmother's objections. I feel compassion for my mother, now, long after her death, that she had to endure everyone's well-meaning or not so well-meaning interventions.

I'm not sure what this blog is going to be about: my life as a part-time academic and full-time editor? my ruminations on the infuriating and joyous city that I live in? (and why is it that I now hear in my head Robert De Niro portentously commenting on "my joy, my heartache, my East, my West Side" in that very objectionable ad that he did for American Express? How, how could he?) Anyway, I will try to stick to my own thoughts if that is possible and report most truthfully on all noteworthy New York happenings.

I am not sure how people get connected to other people doing this blog thing or how people will find me. But I am feeling that I need to find my voice and maybe this will help. At any rate, it might give me something to do during these insomniac hours.

Here's a little New York story to get the ball rolling: Yesterday, I was stuck in a Blockbuster store in the furthest reaches of Brooklyn, trying to take out some DVDs for my most beloved older brother (the baby in the World War II story above) who is unable to walk or talk after his stroke more than a year ago and lives in a nursing home now. It had been a hot, long day already, and nothing seemed doable; the staff were not just rude but aggressively hostile (or so it seemed to me). I needed to fill out the application to open an account and then wait all over again for someone to pay attention to me. The vibe in the place was just chaotic. But then there was this little blond-haired boy, not more than five or six, whose father spoke only Russian but wanted (I gathered) to open an account. So the little boy was very painstakingly trying to sound out the words on the application and then translate them for his father. "Excuse me," he kept saying in his little piping voice to the rude staff people (who were so charmed by him they forgot to be rude), "do we write our address here?" And then, the more important question: "Excuse me. . . . Can I get two games?"

3 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

I like how you are using the name you might have had.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Lilian said...

Oh, the little boy with his Russian father sounds so cute! (my son is that age, 5, almost 6)...

I'm glad I you encountered this way -- through blogging (you found me first, I don't know exactly how, maybe through Jo(e)'s blog). And the good thing is that we can even meet someday. It's been over a year since I've last been to "Big city like no other" as Jo(e) says and we should go again...

(I think one of my favorite things in life now is enjoying "blogger meet-ups") ;)

1:17 AM  
Blogger Do One Thing said...

Celebrate divine rituals with Apna Showroom Panchdeep diyas for puja, designed with five elegant slots to hold oil or ghee. Crafted from durable brass, these diyas radiate positivity, prosperity, and light. Ideal for daily worship, Diwali, Navratri, and temple rituals, Panchdeep diyas enhance spiritual ambiance. Their traditional design symbolizesApna Showroom Baby Kids T-Shirts for Baby Boys & Girls 12-18 months 1 years shirts baby girls boys
Apna Showroom Baby Kids T-Shirts for Baby Boys & Girls 6-12 months 1 years shirts baby girls boys
Apna Showroom Shaligram Shila | Nepal Gandaki River Saligram Stone | Divine Shaligram | Hindu Spiritual Artifact | Black-2inch
purity and devotion, making them perfect for gifting and puja essentials. Apna Showroom Panchdeep diyas bring a sacred glow to your home, creating a serene atmosphere filled with blessings and divine energy.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home