Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Giving Thanks

Grateful tonight for

1) My health.

2) My beloved family.

3) The ability to support myself--although I grumble often about my apartment's shortcomings, the bottom line is that having a roof over my head has never seemed like something to take for granted. And the fact that I do it on my own is gratifying in some profound way.

4) My friends near and far.

5) The odd moment of grace.

6) The kindness of strangers.

7) Opportunities to be kind to strangers.

8) The ability to read and think. And to teach.

9) The outdoors.

10) The subway--yes, the conditions can sometimes be maddening and frustration-inducing, but at other times there is the joy of rubbing elbows with every sort of family, hearing the conversations, seeing what people are reading, watching the children, looking over someone's shoulder at a notebook filled with lists of English words and matching Chinese characters, smiling at her.

11) My downstairs neighbor, king of the quick comeback. He had my butter and cheese while I was defrosting the refrigerator, I wanted them back but it was late and he wasn't really dressed or whatever. Then he said, "Or do you need them for dinner?" I said, in my indecisive way, "Well, I shouldn't really eat cheese. . . " He chimed in at once, with the air of pointing out something quite reasonable, "Or butter." Maybe you had to be there, but it made me laugh because the whole thing was so ridiculous--obviously I do eat those things or they wouldn't have been in his refrigerator. And the point was really whether I was going to come get them, not whether I should eat them.



Well, you get the idea.


Tomorrow I will be with my family, some of whom I get to see often, others not so often, and we will be happy to be together.


To all who may chance to read this, a happy Thanksgiving.

1 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

Happy Thanksgiving.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home