Friday, February 24, 2006

Doubts

Haven't posted here at any length lately--I think I'm having one of those blogging crises you hear tell about. Partly this has been provoked by Sitemeter. I have had a sense of who is reading, because some people leave comments. Mostly, I have envisioned my audience as a cozy network of the few friends I have told about this and people whose blogs I read and/or other bloggers who have similar interests and pursuits and have found me through the network of hyperlinks that lead you from one blog to another. Now that I have discovered Sitemeter, though, and can see that there are people who land here from searching for a particular topic, I feel, well, exposed. This is really public, isn't it, even without names? I have enjoyed writing about my teaching and especially getting responses from people about what I have written. But, it occurs to me that someone, hypothetically, say, a student, even one of mine, might be looking for information on the internet about a particular author and stumble across my blog that way and recognize details about our class and, well, there goes anonymity.

Leave it to me to find an angle to worry about. I'll have to think about this a little, let it settle. Maybe stop looking at Sitemeter.

Mostly I just wanted to check in and say I'm still out here doing my thing: teaching, editing, worrying, taking naps when I can.

4 Comments:

Blogger Choco Pie said...

This bothers me, too. I lose my nerve sometime and can't post for a while.

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sitemeter is such an intimidating thing. i sort of regret getting it, but am too attached to it now to let it go. it helps that i'm not on blogger anymore, which is owned by google. this way i only rarely get the searched out hits.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

Sandra and PPG: Thanks for the comments. From reading some of the comments over at jo(e)'s today, I learned that it is possible to insert some code that will prevent your blog from being indexed by the search engines. I think that I have done that successfully. So that makes me feel a little less exposed...

10:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

okay, an update on my last comment. seems I'm still getting those google-search hits, so mabye I was not so successful.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home