Isn't This How Everyone Packs for a Four-Day Trip?
1) Procrastinate as long as possible. For example, take a nap after work, and then when you wake up, decide that going to that yoga class at the gym at 8:30 p.m. is more urgent than packing for your 10 o'clock flight the next morning. Besides, it will relax you.
2) When you get home, enjoy a sandwich while watching Sex and The City reruns on TBS. During commercials, get up and desultorily straighten up the apartment IN PREPARATION for packing. You've already let go of the idea, inspired by jo(e)'s recent post, of actually cleaning the apartment before you go away. Getting on the plane is the focus now.
3) At 11 o'clock, make the huge commitment of switching off the TV and putting on a CD. Springsteen, Tunnel of Love, which you have lately been listening to obsessively. Open a beer. Open the suitcase. Sneakers in first, of course, in case there is a chance to work out at the hotel. Then, wander dreamily from one pile of clean clothes (you have done a lot of laundry this week in preparation for this moment) to another, picking out pieces that strike your fancy and putting them into the suitcase. 12 outfits for four days is not too many. You are, after all, going to a city where it will be hot outside but freezing inside the hotel where the conference events will be held. Better to be prepared.
4) At midnight, write a list of items that cannot possibly be packed until the morning: toiletries, jewelry, the bag that goes with you on the plane with CD player, reading material, etc. Experience thankfulness that your flight is at 10 and not at 8. (You try never to schedule flights before 10.)
5) Write a blog post about how taxing it is to prepare for a trip.
Edited to correct the link to jo(e) above, which I had typed incorrectly. It should come up correctly any time now.
2) When you get home, enjoy a sandwich while watching Sex and The City reruns on TBS. During commercials, get up and desultorily straighten up the apartment IN PREPARATION for packing. You've already let go of the idea, inspired by jo(e)'s recent post, of actually cleaning the apartment before you go away. Getting on the plane is the focus now.
3) At 11 o'clock, make the huge commitment of switching off the TV and putting on a CD. Springsteen, Tunnel of Love, which you have lately been listening to obsessively. Open a beer. Open the suitcase. Sneakers in first, of course, in case there is a chance to work out at the hotel. Then, wander dreamily from one pile of clean clothes (you have done a lot of laundry this week in preparation for this moment) to another, picking out pieces that strike your fancy and putting them into the suitcase. 12 outfits for four days is not too many. You are, after all, going to a city where it will be hot outside but freezing inside the hotel where the conference events will be held. Better to be prepared.
4) At midnight, write a list of items that cannot possibly be packed until the morning: toiletries, jewelry, the bag that goes with you on the plane with CD player, reading material, etc. Experience thankfulness that your flight is at 10 and not at 8. (You try never to schedule flights before 10.)
5) Write a blog post about how taxing it is to prepare for a trip.
Edited to correct the link to jo(e) above, which I had typed incorrectly. It should come up correctly any time now.
7 Comments:
Sure, this is the way I do it too... only I have to pack for me and two boys :)
Then, at the last minute I get SO, so stressed out about forgetting something that I almost lose my mind - or doesn't that part happen to you? :)
Lilian: yes, that is usually part of the whole wonderful experience. But I am hoping that my list will help keep me focused and calm in the morning!
You left out the part about surfing blogs for "just a few minutes" and then realizing hours have gone by ....
Oh, and have a great trip!
That's pretty much how I pack, the only difference being that I usually pull an all-nighter, since our flights are usually early in the morning.
Sounds almost exactly like the way I packed for a one-month trip!
I hope you're having fun and not just working!
Yup sounds like me...except usually there's some arguing in there with the significant other about why I'm not packing.
Post a Comment
<< Home