A One-Woman Task Force
Sometimes I really do get a lot accomplished in a day. Today, for example, I did the following:
1) Went to work.
2) At lunchtime, went from Manhattan to Brooklyn and back again (okay, only one stop on the subway from where I work to downtown Brooklyn, but still) to see the eye doctor, who said everything looked fine with my contact lenses.
3) At 4:00, I met, at work, for "one-on-one counseling" with a representative from the retirement fund that our company uses. The gist was that I should be more "aggressive" and less risk-averse in how I allocate my investments. This is what they always tell me, but this time they were very convincing. They had me fill out a questionnaire about my feelings about risk-tolerance. There were two representatives, a youngish, very pleasant, personable, self-assured woman who did most of the talking and an older man (her supervisor?) who said he would just be a "fly on the wall." A couple of times she turned to him with a question or he interjected something. In particular, he said that the questionnaire really was supposed to indicate how I felt about risk, that it had to do with emotions. I thought, yes, I have emotions about this, but I really wish I understood it all better.
It turned out, even with my emotions, that I could tolerate more risk than my current portfolio reflects. So I may act on the advice to be more aggressive.
4) Got home, took clothes to the cleaners, and went to my cardio-yoga class., which was both strenuous and relaxing. Now I am, in that pre-travel ritual (I leave on Thursday for a few days away at a conference), washing some other clothing by hand. I am also so tired that I am slightly dizzy. Time to rinse my clothes and fall into bed.
1) Went to work.
2) At lunchtime, went from Manhattan to Brooklyn and back again (okay, only one stop on the subway from where I work to downtown Brooklyn, but still) to see the eye doctor, who said everything looked fine with my contact lenses.
3) At 4:00, I met, at work, for "one-on-one counseling" with a representative from the retirement fund that our company uses. The gist was that I should be more "aggressive" and less risk-averse in how I allocate my investments. This is what they always tell me, but this time they were very convincing. They had me fill out a questionnaire about my feelings about risk-tolerance. There were two representatives, a youngish, very pleasant, personable, self-assured woman who did most of the talking and an older man (her supervisor?) who said he would just be a "fly on the wall." A couple of times she turned to him with a question or he interjected something. In particular, he said that the questionnaire really was supposed to indicate how I felt about risk, that it had to do with emotions. I thought, yes, I have emotions about this, but I really wish I understood it all better.
It turned out, even with my emotions, that I could tolerate more risk than my current portfolio reflects. So I may act on the advice to be more aggressive.
4) Got home, took clothes to the cleaners, and went to my cardio-yoga class., which was both strenuous and relaxing. Now I am, in that pre-travel ritual (I leave on Thursday for a few days away at a conference), washing some other clothing by hand. I am also so tired that I am slightly dizzy. Time to rinse my clothes and fall into bed.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home