Scrambled or Unscrambled?
Now that I have seen The Da Vinci Code, I finally have the context for the Fibonacci sequence we've all been using madly to generate "Fib" poems. Although I think I had the idea that it would be a much bigger part of the story--it kind of came and went.
The movie, as others have written, is not very good. Tedious and long. But I had a good time anyway--I went with my brother, who wanted to go to the movies, and who selected this one when I read out the names in the newspaper. (My brother, as I've written here before, had a stroke two years ago and has very little speech and cannot walk. I was pleased for him that he managed to let us know he wanted to go to the movies and picked one.) It was a fun excursion for us, negotiating the short bus ride to the local multiplex with his wheelchair and then getting set up in the movie theater with popcorn and soda. I was grateful, as I always am, that the buses are wheelchair-accessible, and the theater also.
We exchanged a few chuckles at some of the cornier lines. At the moment when a connection is revealed between seemingly unrelated bad guys (I'm trying not to give away anything here), my brother said one of his few words or semi-words, which is, "Ooooooo....," accompanied by an appropriate expression of mock-surprise. At the end he looked over at me and made a gesture conveying something like, "Whew!" I asked, jokingly, "Got that?"
I think he did, mostly.
On the way back to the bus, we agreed that the movie was too long, but that the old guy (whom I mistakenly identified as Derek Jacobi rather than Ian McKellen) was good and that there was some interesting history.
The movie, as others have written, is not very good. Tedious and long. But I had a good time anyway--I went with my brother, who wanted to go to the movies, and who selected this one when I read out the names in the newspaper. (My brother, as I've written here before, had a stroke two years ago and has very little speech and cannot walk. I was pleased for him that he managed to let us know he wanted to go to the movies and picked one.) It was a fun excursion for us, negotiating the short bus ride to the local multiplex with his wheelchair and then getting set up in the movie theater with popcorn and soda. I was grateful, as I always am, that the buses are wheelchair-accessible, and the theater also.
We exchanged a few chuckles at some of the cornier lines. At the moment when a connection is revealed between seemingly unrelated bad guys (I'm trying not to give away anything here), my brother said one of his few words or semi-words, which is, "Ooooooo....," accompanied by an appropriate expression of mock-surprise. At the end he looked over at me and made a gesture conveying something like, "Whew!" I asked, jokingly, "Got that?"
I think he did, mostly.
On the way back to the bus, we agreed that the movie was too long, but that the old guy (whom I mistakenly identified as Derek Jacobi rather than Ian McKellen) was good and that there was some interesting history.
2 Comments:
That's the upside to going to the movies with people you love...even if the movie is a stinker, good comes from it.
The last in-theater movie I saw was Ice Age II. My family thought it was funny; I was horrified because the premise was that the ice was melting and all the animals were fleeing for their lives. Throughout I was thinking that this was an unresolvable problem...and in the end the solution was, clearly, temporary.
Apparently I wasn't supposed to take the movie so seriously! It made my family laugh, so good came from it.
Bitty: I saw Ice Age II also, sort of by accident, because the movie my friends and I were going to see was sold out. I think I took it more in the spirit of your family and laughed a lot. I can't even really remember what happened in the end, except that the Ray Romano and Queen Latifah (I think?) mammoths got together and formed a family with that other odd assortment of animals. Oh, and that obsessive squirrel almost got to go to heaven but got "rescued" at the last minute, to his great chagrin.
Post a Comment
<< Home