Naps, Yoga, Dreams
Tonight I had plans to go to an Iyengar yoga class at my gym at 8:00. I've never been to that particular kind of yoga class. The description made it sound very much less active than the vinyasa classes I usually go to, more about stillness. There was also something in the description about the class's allowing time for moments of getting centered. I thought, I could use that.
But, alas, I couldn't coordinate my napping desires and my yoga desires. I was exhausted when I got home from work--haven't been sleeping too well at night--so I took a nap. At about 7:10 I woke up briefly when the phone rang but I sensed I wasn't going to make it to yoga without a huge effort to rip myself away from the seduction of sleep. So instead I dreamt that I went to the yoga class.
In the dream, an acquaintance of mine, someone I've actually been wanting to get to know better, was teaching the class. She described one option for the class with a word that I can't remember but seemed to signify a statue, like maybe one of those Hopi kachina dolls. But it also made me envision a silhoutte of someone holding a yoga pose, maybe eagle pose, where you're kind of twirled around yourself and bent forward. I asked her more about it, and it seemed that in this type of yoga class you had to hold that one pose for the length of the class, 75 minutes! (I guess I had that stillness thing in my head.) I said that I thought that was a little too much for me, that I needed more activity. So she said okay, and then the class began, and it was a little odd, not really yoga but kind of twirling around.
When I woke up it was too late to actually go to the class so I went out and ate sushi instead. Maybe next week I'll find out what Iyengar yoga is really like.
But, alas, I couldn't coordinate my napping desires and my yoga desires. I was exhausted when I got home from work--haven't been sleeping too well at night--so I took a nap. At about 7:10 I woke up briefly when the phone rang but I sensed I wasn't going to make it to yoga without a huge effort to rip myself away from the seduction of sleep. So instead I dreamt that I went to the yoga class.
In the dream, an acquaintance of mine, someone I've actually been wanting to get to know better, was teaching the class. She described one option for the class with a word that I can't remember but seemed to signify a statue, like maybe one of those Hopi kachina dolls. But it also made me envision a silhoutte of someone holding a yoga pose, maybe eagle pose, where you're kind of twirled around yourself and bent forward. I asked her more about it, and it seemed that in this type of yoga class you had to hold that one pose for the length of the class, 75 minutes! (I guess I had that stillness thing in my head.) I said that I thought that was a little too much for me, that I needed more activity. So she said okay, and then the class began, and it was a little odd, not really yoga but kind of twirling around.
When I woke up it was too late to actually go to the class so I went out and ate sushi instead. Maybe next week I'll find out what Iyengar yoga is really like.
1 Comments:
I think you're on to something here, though. I think I might start grading papers in my sleep and pulling down the kitchen wallpaper in my sleep. I'd get a lot more done.
And to be serious a moment, I have done lesson planning in my sleep.
Post a Comment
<< Home