It's So Late, You Could Almost Call it Early
As often happens, insomnia seems to pull me back to this venue. I have been away from blogging for a little bit, immersed in my life, working too hard. It's going on four a.m. on a Saturday night, and I'm not sure why I'm not sleeping.
Well, there was the teeniest little nap earlier.
I will report that I have discovered that iyengar yoga is indeed much stiller, much slower than the vinyasa class I usually take. You hold the poses longer (although not as long as in my dream.) Also, you ease into them more gradually.
Today I went back to the vinyasa class, and it seemed speeded up, and a little more difficult than usual, especially at first. But then I got used to the rhythm of it, moving through the poses, working up a little heat, my arms finding their strength. I think I can make room for both types of yoga in my life.
Now, if I could only make some room for sleep. . . .
Well, there was the teeniest little nap earlier.
I will report that I have discovered that iyengar yoga is indeed much stiller, much slower than the vinyasa class I usually take. You hold the poses longer (although not as long as in my dream.) Also, you ease into them more gradually.
Today I went back to the vinyasa class, and it seemed speeded up, and a little more difficult than usual, especially at first. But then I got used to the rhythm of it, moving through the poses, working up a little heat, my arms finding their strength. I think I can make room for both types of yoga in my life.
Now, if I could only make some room for sleep. . . .
3 Comments:
I hear ya on the sleep issues. I've been doing better in the last week, trying to follow some sleep rituals (like drinking a cup of Sleepytime tea and such) and taking some melatonin before bedtime, but it's still been an imperfect set of solutions so far. I'm hoping to start yoga sometime soon, this week or next.
Scrivener, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I highly endorse the yoga idea. And I've heard good things about melatonin.
Just when I think I have the sleep thing beat, I move into a phase of waking up in the middle of the night, staring into the dark for hours, and falling asleep again 30 minutes before the alarm goes off.
My bedtime ritual:
a 3mg melatonin
2 (sometimes 3) ibuprofen to shoo away the aches and pains that I get if I DON'T do this (because, unlike Lindsay Wagner, I do not have a Sleep Number bed)
a multivitamin (just because I'm swallowing all the other pills at that time)
washed down with milk (not warm, because I've heard the properties are the same cold or warm).
I forgot all about Sleepytime. I have a box. Better add a Sleepytime chaser to the ritual.
I have a friend who swears that melatonin gives her vivid nightmares, so best not to try it on a work night. But I've never had an issue with it and I swear by it. I've also learned that if I can force myself to lie perfectly still, even if my mind is racing, the body gets the message. One more thing: sleep does not come immediately. Sometimes it takes an hour or so. Better than nothing.
Good luck!
Post a Comment
<< Home