Saturday, December 22, 2007

Dreaming in Math, and Related Matters

Last night, in my dream, I was sitting next to a woman who had a little tiny newborn that she was breastfeeding. We were seated close to each other at some sort of counter or terrace overlooking what might have been a beautiful landscape, or it might have been a street scene viewed from a plate glass window, like what I see when I'm having lunch at the counter of Chain Bakery and Lunch Place with French Word For Bread in its Name that is near my office. I turned to the woman and noticed the baby, and commented on how little she was. The woman pointed out, politely, that the strap from my purse kept touching the baby's head (which is exactly like something that might happen at French Lunch Place, since it's always so crowded). I pulled my purse closer to me, apologizing, and asked how old the baby was. The woman answered something like, "A hundred and twelve hours." (It was definitely in hours (!), and somewhere around that number, although I can't remember exactly.) Then I did all these calculations, quickly, in my head, to figure out how many days that was. I remember very distinctly thinking that three days was 72 hours, and that if you double that to six days you get 144 hours, and the number the woman said was definitely less than that. So then I said, "Oh, she's less than a week old, then."

I can't remember if, in the dream, I felt as smugly pleased with myself for calculating that on the fly as I did once I woke up and remembered doing it. Probably not--in the dream it all seemed matter-of-fact, not even unusual to me that the woman would report her infant's age in hours. But, in waking life, there's something very pleasurable about remembering doing the calculations--I don't know why, something about my mind working so logically like that in the face of an illogical or unusual dream-situation (which of course I had also created). And the fact that the calculations were actually right--it just amuses me somehow.

Dreams are so mysterious, anyway. Who knows why I would have this dream and what all the different components mean, together and separately? I mean, I can surmise, but I think I'll just let it be.

In another part of the dream, someone who was supposed to be my mother but sounded like or somehow reminded me of a former therapist (and maybe someone else, too, some other adviser-like person in my life that I can't really place), said, "What if you imagined yourself as part of a committee in charge of self-improvement, or of doing things to get what you want?" Something like that, anyway--again, I can't really remember the exact words, but the little nugget of advice coming from my dreamed-up adviser seems worth noting and holding onto.

I had a lot more very engrossing, highly narrative, episodic dreams last night, and woke up a lot. I have a cold and had taken Seriously Syrupy Cough and Cold Medicine, which I think does strange things to one's brain. I think I'll risk experiencing the cold symptoms tonight--better than taking the chance of having to calculate something really difficult in my dreams tonight. (!)

4 Comments:

Blogger jodi said...

Gosh, when I take the syrup with the extra alcohol in it I'm dead to the world. Never dream. That is an interesting dream.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

I like your Adviser in the dream. Is that person's advice something you've been thinking about lately?

And FYI: The first time I ever took NighttimeSnifflingSneezingEtCeteraMedicine, I had an incredibly long dream that involved my friends and I walking along a ridge of hills looking for a downed UFO. It was really an amazing dream.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

Jar: thanks for the comment--yes, I think I was hoping that I'd be dead to the world after I swigged the cough medicine, but it obviously had the opposite impact on me.

Todd: glad to hear someone else had a similar reaction to Well-Known Cough Medicine.

And, about the "adviser's" advise, yes, I suppose along with the end of the year, one tries to puzzle out how to go forward in a good way, so I have been thinking about how to do that. Akin to your recent post on a similar subject, which I enjoyed reading, btw.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Huh. I know I wrote a comment on this post. I wonder where I misplaced it.

The gist of it was how nice it is that in your dreams you are pleased with yourself and offering yourself the kind of advice that's useful to ponder in your waking hours too.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home