Sunday, March 30, 2008

The News from Here

I seem to be on a sort of biweekly writing-a-post-and-checking-in type of schedule, so here I am.

News:

I had one of those big birthdays recently. Tough to be getting older but, as they say, better than the alternative. My family threw me a lovely party, about twenty people, a mixture of family and friends, and I felt blessed to be among them. My father made a speech similar to the one he had made at the last big birthday I had, in which he describes the milestone year in which I was born: the youngest of his three beatiful children was born, and he finally got admitted to the International Typographers Union after six years of accumulating work experience as a linotype operator. And my sister, just as she had at the last big birthday party, a decade ago, started to cry as she began to raise her glass to make a toast. I hugged her and said, "Don't cry," just as I had the last time. This is the kind of consistency, or repetition, that feels precious.

Today I had a Sunday with my brother. There is a comforting consistency to those days, too. I always pass the same stores as I walk the mile or so from the subway to the nursing home where he lives. One is an Asian place that advertises massage and perhaps some other services, like waxing and manicures. There is a crude drawing in the window that is supposed to be someone giving a massage to a person lying down. Every single time I walk past it, I think the same thing, which is that it looks like one of those Heimlich maneuver posters, even though the "victim" is lying down. I guess it's something about the way it's drawn, just the outline of two figures, and the way the supposed masseur has his hands braced against the person's back in what seems a desperate or aggressive way. Then I sort of chuckle to myself, thinking, no, that's supposed to be someone getting a massage, not being saved from choking.

When I got to my the nursing home, I asked the young woman behind the reception desk if she had seen my brother yet today. I had heard from my sister, who had it from my father, that he had not been feeling well yesterday and didn't get out of bed. (For any first-time readers, my 66-year-old brother is confined to a wheelchair because of a stroke four years ago; his right side is paralyzed, and he cannot talk, except for a couple of words, like "yeah," which he says a lot. Although he cannot talk or write because he has expressive aphasia, he understands everything that is going on around him and that is said to him.) The young woman said that he had been outside in front and had just gone upstairs (he can wheel himself around within the nursing home by propelling the wheelchair with his good foot). When I got up to his room, he was sitting in front of the TV, but the TV wasn't on. I felt a pang of worry, or sadness, but I made a joke, which is what I do, a lot, with him, not knowing what else to do.

"That looks like a great movie," I said, as I approached him from behind.

He was glad to see me, and ready to go out for a walk, but I could tell he was kind of down.

We went for our usual walk, to the video store to get DVDs, then we went in a big loop, walking a few blocks through a quiet part of the neighborhood, away from the commercial street. I walked slowly, pushing the wheelchair, lettting us both feel the late-spring sunshine. We stopped in one of the neighborhood playgrounds, and I sat on a bench in the sun, close to him. I showed him pictures from the birthday party that I had put together in a little album for him.

We stopped at the diner that is across the street from the nursing home, where they all know us and where the waiters will come out to help me push him up the steep ramp to the entrance. When we got to our table, I ordered for us and the waiter brought out a tray of pickles, coleslaw, and chickpea salad. I served my brother some of it, and he picked at it. Then he looked at me. I said, "you're feeling down?" He shook his head, I think to indicate he didn't feel great. Then he, I think, heard the words of my question, and nodded to say yes, he did feel down.

I could not think of one thing to say to make him feel better. I could not think of an activity to propose, or something that he might look forward to. It's excruciating to not be able to help him, or change his situation, but I know that it's important to let him have his feelings and express them as well as he can. I can't always be making jokes to try to cheer him, and myself, up, although I suppose there's a place for that too.

When we went back to the nursing home he seemed a little more comfortable. I told him a story about a recent misadventure of mine involving keys that I thought I had lost (don't ask!), a locksmith, and a lot of money basically thrown out the window (or at the locksmith, to be more exact). He was appropriately amused, disbelieving, rueful, at various places in the narrative. When I told him, "and then of course I found the keys the next day," he shook his head, then shrugged, as if to say, "Well, that's life."

As I was getting ready to leave, I gave him the little book of photos I had made for him. He hadn't realized I meant for him to keep it--he had apparently thought earlier I was just showing him some pictures--and seemed surprised and touched. He nodded, and murmured something.

"You're welcome," I said, and we went back outside, him to have another cigarette, me to be on my way back home. I sat with him for a little while first. Then he looked at me and nodded. I think he's telling me I should get going, but I'm not totally sure that is what he means. So I wait for a broader gesture. He raises his good hand and points somewhere out there, in the direction of the bus. "I should go?" I ask. "yes," he nods. "Okay," I say, "if you insist," joking with him again now. He smiles, acknowledges the joke, waves his hand again. "Yes, go, I'm fine, thank you for coming," is what I understand, and so I go.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you began to share today, I thought, this sounds a lot like a story I heard...oh, yes, it's your story. :)

Thank you for sharing your Birthday celebration and your visit to your brother. I often feel so disconnected in the world and somehow hearing your stories tonight make me feel less so.

Happy Belated Birthday! :)

2:37 AM  
Blogger YourFireAnt said...

You are a good writer. Begin this piece at Today I had . . . . [3rd par.] and send it to The Sun.

Good story. Good writing.

Teresa

8:51 PM  
Blogger Choco Pie said...

Yeah, you are a great writer. You can write about hurting your hand playing volleyball and I have to read it two or three times, it's so good.

Anyway, I read this a few days ago, didn't know what to say about it, but I just came back to say I read it and found it very moving, the whole situation.

His not being able to speak, your uncertainty about how to speak to him, how to talk to someone who doesn't talk back...Still thinking about this.

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a heartbreaking and touching entry. Thank you for sharing so much.

And happy belated birthday!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

dear everyone: thanks for the comments. it does help to share the stories, and to know people are reading.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Clarence P said...

Great blog yyou have

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home