Apologies
I have been an absent blogger indeed. What can I say? Holidays, grading, conference in neighboring city, family visiting, family gone, dating dilemmas.
Now, suddenly, the new semester is staring me in the face. I am excited--and a little nervous--because I will be teaching a course that is actually in my field. I am reading and thinking, thinking, thinking of how my syllabus will go.
And it's cold here in Big City Like No Other (apologies, as always, to jo(e) for borrowing your pseudonyms--they are catchy). The windows in my ancient apartment are not very efficient against the frigid temperatures outside, and the heat from the radiator, although usually excessive, doesn't seem to be making it into the bedroom. I have had to wear my fleecelike ski pants to bed twice in the last week. I don't really mind--it kind of feels like an adventure. But I wish I would have dreams about skiing, at least. As opposed to toothpaste.
Now, suddenly, the new semester is staring me in the face. I am excited--and a little nervous--because I will be teaching a course that is actually in my field. I am reading and thinking, thinking, thinking of how my syllabus will go.
And it's cold here in Big City Like No Other (apologies, as always, to jo(e) for borrowing your pseudonyms--they are catchy). The windows in my ancient apartment are not very efficient against the frigid temperatures outside, and the heat from the radiator, although usually excessive, doesn't seem to be making it into the bedroom. I have had to wear my fleecelike ski pants to bed twice in the last week. I don't really mind--it kind of feels like an adventure. But I wish I would have dreams about skiing, at least. As opposed to toothpaste.
1 Comments:
Although I don't have to deal with New York Style Cold, I do have a "leaky" window issue, which makes for a cold bedroom on chilly nights. However, I recently bought some blackout curtains (they're liners, really -- no one would confuse these for something stylish) for my bedroom because I just plain got fed up with the street light over-illuminating the room while I was trying to sleep. An added bonus is that they're very insulating, and the chill has more or less been taken off the room. (Maybe you'd only get a reduction in the chill.) Of course, then you'd be warmer but in the dark. They're about $25 a pair at WalMart, and I've also seen them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I'm very pleased with them.
I so understand that feeling of being caught between wanting to maintain the blog but barely having time to take a shower! Still, it's good to see your head pop up now and then.
Last night I dreamed that my son, a carpenter, was doing a little work for Brad and Angelina, and I was hanging around the house with them. They were so normal as to be boring. Then we went out to eat at some generic restaurant and no one noticed them although I was as nervous as a cat in a dog show because I thought we were going to be mobbed.
Not as interesting as toothpaste, really.
Post a Comment
<< Home