Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Update

Well, I am still cold, still wearing my ski pants to bed (and for blogging). Tomorrow there is supposed to be a snowstorm of sorts here in the metropolis (or, as the TV weather reports put it, a "mixed bag" of snow, ice, sleet, rain, more snow) but nothing much is happening yet. Even though I love teaching I am hoping for a snow day tomorrow. I am feeling worn down with this February chill.

Yoga takes the chill off a little, as always. Sometimes when my mind is racing and won't stop, when I am trying to go to sleep, for example, the poses and the names for them come into my consciousness and calm me. A favorite pose of mine is arti chandrasana (sp?). It sounds like artichoke but means "half-moon pose." I like thinking about it: how you spring forward out of Warrior Two (virha bidrasana II), rise out of the standing pose as if you were going to fly and then tip forward on the front hand, find the floor (or the block in my case), then let the side of the body blossom open, the other arm reaching for the sky, one leg steady on the floor and one leg reaching back, turned so that both hips face the side of the room, or, as my teacher puts it, mantralike, "shoulder to hip, hip to shoulder."

Moving to my other favorite activity, tonight I spoke to one of my volleyball friends and he said, "Only eight more weeks." I was puzzled; spring is (thank God) less than eight weeks away.
"Until. . . . ?" I asked. "Until volleyball!" he said. "Yes," I said, "that's right, volleyball in April."

I think I can hold on . . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

February is such a long month, isn't it? But finally now, it's half over ....

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope that you got your day off.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

jo(e): yes, long indeed.

jar: thanks--I did get to stay home but only because I canceled class myself. Also stayed home from my day job. I have a bit of the flu, I think. Tomorrow I will face the music--i.e., work, teaching, frigid temperatures, the subway, the whole works....

11:36 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

hello sarah, saw ya at jo(e)'s.
(wow, lotsa punctuation in that word!!)
your yoga sounds like a lot of fun.
i am trying to do pilates every day. and not really succeeding.

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home