Saturday, December 06, 2008

Six Things

Well out of toddlerhood and into the pre-K years of this blog, I've been tagged, for the very first time. Todd of Beautiful, Funny, Sad, and True, on behalf of all of you, wants to know six things about me.

I'll try.

1. I tend to develop these routines on weekends that I'm in love with for awhile. Then eventually I fall out of love with them and move on. For a long while it was yoga class on Saturday afternoon and then going home hungry and sleepy, having some deliciously fattening thing for lunch (like ham and swiss on a bagel and coffee light and sweet), then sacking out on the couch to read the Times and drift off to sleep. Then, for one reason and another, I stopped doing those things on Saturday afternoon. Now I am smitten with a Friday night routine, which involves stopping off at a particular deli on my way home from seeing friends I often see on Friday night. The deli has all kinds of organic food--not that I only eat organic food or anything, but it has the cereal I like and I can pick up other things that I need for the morning. Then, by the time I'm finished in there, the bus, which comes only once every half hour, and which will take me the half-mile or so to where I live, is just pulling up to the corner. Of course I could walk--I don't really need to take the bus, but, with that unlimited metro card, it's FREE, and plus now I'm carrying groceries. The bus stops just steps from my door, and I always feel very pleased with myself for how efficiently I've managed everything, and also very taken care of.

2. I love that trick that allows you to figure out if a number is divisible by three by adding up the digits. If that number is divisible by three, then the original number is, too. Great for figuring out how much tip to leave when you are out to dinner with three or six or nine people and you want to make the check easily divisible. I not only love the trick, but I love explaining it to people. Sometimes I get so carried away that I try to do the trick when we're dividing the check by four. That confuses the people I'm having dinner with.

3. When I was a kid, I studied piano and cello and went to music camp in the summers.

4. I have the gift of gab.

5. I tend to do things at the last minute.

6. I am prone to nostalgia.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love figuring out public transportation and timing it just right as to have only a few minutes to wait!

And that can be a bit of a challenge for me right now, as I have a broken ankle and take the para transit bus. They can be late or on time. So, I am double happy when a multiple-stop trip goes just right.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. My routine involves listening to "This American Life" on Sunday mornings. Today's was particularly good.

2. You must explain this trick.

3. I studied piano from five til seven, and all the other stuff is pretty much self-taught, until the cello, which I could barely make a sound on until I'd had a lesson or two. I think I've had about six total. I need more.

4. Wish I did. I'm quiet, and shy in certain situations. Every once in a while, though, I open up and am unstoppable. :)

5. Same here.

6. I'm nostalgic about some things, but not about others. I tend to stick with my first impression of people, either good or bad. Wish I didn't, but I do. I need to learn to put the past behind me. Or DO I?

1:34 AM  
Blogger BrightBoy said...

I, too, am prone to nostalgia, and also love establishing routines (which I've just now realized actually do change over time).

Maybe routines are a part of nostalgia; we define certain periods of our lives by the way we lived.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

Joy: yes, it's the best, isn't it?

Todd: here's the trick. Take a number, say, 456. Is it divisible by three? Well, 4 + 5 + 6 = 15, which is divisible by three. Therefore, so is 456. Go ahead, try it out.

Blackenedboy: yes, it all does seem connected, routines and nostalgia, now that you mention it.

thanks, all, for the comments...

11:35 PM  
Blogger YourFireAnt said...

Is there any other time EXCEPT the last minute to do things in?

;-)

FA

10:14 AM  
Blogger jodi said...

I have never heard of the number 3 thing. Will try to impress my family with that one :-). I also will have to think about the link between nostalgia and routine.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

FA: I've heard tell there is, but I don't really believe it....

Jody: Thanks for the comment--I hope your family is suitably impressed!

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home