Priorities
Yesterday, my dear friend R., one of my volleyball gang, came over with his minivan to help me with an errand: picking up a patio table and some chairs that I had bought for my urban outdoor space, i.e., my terrace.
In the car, we chatted about the weather (pouring down rain) and about volleyball. R. had just dropped off the net at my apartment a couple of days before--he had been holding it temporarily but I am designated as the official keeper of the net, since I seemingly have the most space of anyone. We had already had "opening day" for this season, the week before, but I had had an engagement and could not make it. R. told me that the volleyball afternoon had started somewhat late, with people finally showing up around 3:00, but that after that there was good turnout, and that the group played four good games, with six on six for three out of four of them. (For anyone new to this blog and my chronicles of volleyball, I play with a group of friends, in a public park, on most Sundays in the spring and summer. We bring our own net and set it up each time.)
Yesterday was Sunday, but it was raining heavily. I looked out the window and said, "No volleyball today, I guess." R. said "No, doesn't look like it." Maybe we both sighed regretfully or something. Then, R. said, "But you know, we need it." I was all ready to agree, nodding responsibly, thinking R. (to whom I have occasionally given the pseudonym New Age Guy in this blog) was going to say something semi-mystical or talk about the earth and the plants and the cycle of things. Then he said, "Everything is so dry. Last week when we were driving the spikes in for the net, we had to really struggle. The ground shouldn't be so hard in April!"
In the car, we chatted about the weather (pouring down rain) and about volleyball. R. had just dropped off the net at my apartment a couple of days before--he had been holding it temporarily but I am designated as the official keeper of the net, since I seemingly have the most space of anyone. We had already had "opening day" for this season, the week before, but I had had an engagement and could not make it. R. told me that the volleyball afternoon had started somewhat late, with people finally showing up around 3:00, but that after that there was good turnout, and that the group played four good games, with six on six for three out of four of them. (For anyone new to this blog and my chronicles of volleyball, I play with a group of friends, in a public park, on most Sundays in the spring and summer. We bring our own net and set it up each time.)
Yesterday was Sunday, but it was raining heavily. I looked out the window and said, "No volleyball today, I guess." R. said "No, doesn't look like it." Maybe we both sighed regretfully or something. Then, R. said, "But you know, we need it." I was all ready to agree, nodding responsibly, thinking R. (to whom I have occasionally given the pseudonym New Age Guy in this blog) was going to say something semi-mystical or talk about the earth and the plants and the cycle of things. Then he said, "Everything is so dry. Last week when we were driving the spikes in for the net, we had to really struggle. The ground shouldn't be so hard in April!"
3 Comments:
:) The plants TOTALLY need this rain, though, we're happy it's raining too...
a priority indeed. we live a dry, dry corner of Colorado. rain is cause for celebration. and sometimes dancing.
Lilian, Clowncar, thanks for commenting. Yes, it's true, all kidding aside, the rain is very needed! It's been drier than usual this year in the big city.
Post a Comment
<< Home