Monday, March 30, 2020

In the Time of Social Distancing

Somehow this feels like a good time to take up this blog again. I have been meaning to write every day, in a notebook, to record what this time has been like, and have not done too much of that.

So, maybe here, blogging, might be a way.

I live in upstate New York, far away from New York City, where I was born and lived most of my life, except for the last 7 or 8 years. It is scary enough here--but I worry about my friends and family, living in the epicenter. But they are going on with their lives as best as they can, as we are here, too.

Today, Monday, was the 10th "business day" for me of working from home--I started on Tuesday, almost two weeks ago. Ten business days, but fourteen actual days of working from home and seeing no one in the flesh except J., my partner. We had been staying at his house, about 25 minutes from here, all last week, and working from home together, which was comforting and cozy. But today he is on the road, because mostly he works in another state, and he was asked to come in this week. So I am now back in my house, which I love, but it does feel strange to be alone with all this worry, to not have the companionship for meals and TV and whatever else--walks, playing music, goofing around. And the hugs and physical contact. 

It is a struggle to stay active. We had been going for walks every day but yesterday we did not get out, and today I have done nothing active so far and now it is evening and I don't have any exercise equipment here. If only I could find that work-out-at-home set that I ordered from somewhere awhile ago, with the dance CD and the stretchy bands. 

Well, I will practice the piano and that will be good. And tomorrow I have a piano lesson, virtually of course, and that will be fun and comforting.

2 Comments:

Blogger L said...

YAY! There you are! I also have to blog some more after the couple posts I wrote in the past month. I do see you on FB now, so that is nice, but there's nothing quite like blogging.

I hope J comes back soon, I imagine it must be hard to be by oneself while confined at home like this. Good to see you back to the blog and hopefully you'll be back again soon!

8:33 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Ah, nice to see you here. I've kickstarted my blog as well. We'll see how long that lasts! I keep wondering what this pandemic would be like without the internet. More anxiety or less? I think I'm reading way too much news these days ...

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home