Loss, Once More
I need to share some sad news with you, my handful of readers. Some of you who know me in real life or who have become virtual friends on one or another form of social media will know this already, but for others who may be reading, I want to share that my beloved brother, whom I have written about so many times here, is gone. He had been holding his own for eight years after a massive stroke and heart attack in 2004, but he had been growing weaker lately. He went into the hospital a little over two weeks ago with congestive heart failure and pneumonia. At first he seemed to be getting better with treatment, but then he got worse. He died last Sunday night, March 24th, in the hospital. My sister and I, and my niece and nephew, were with him during those last days.
I traveled back to where I live now, in upstate New York, a few days later. I am stricken with this loss, although somewhat comforted that he is no longer suffering (those last few days were very hard, and he had made it clear that he was ready to go). That thought is so abstract, in a way, though--yes, he is no longer suffering, but he is no longer here to know he is not suffering. Mostly I feel an ache for his presence, and sorrow, and emptiness.

6 Comments:
oh, I am so sorry.
I am so so sorry! Good thing you were able to be with him on those last days (probably not very good for you and your memories of him).
I don't really know what else to say except that I'm sorry. Losing a loved one is just heartbreaking. :(
Thank you, all, for the kind thoughts.
Thank you, Jodi.
Losing a brother is a whole different kind of loss, isn't it. I'm sad with you.
T.
T: Thank you, and yes. I know you have been through it, too.
Post a Comment
<< Home