Sunday, July 08, 2007

Writing not Sleeping

I have been meaning to point out an interesting article from the New York Times about six weeks ago, about the stories we tell about our lives and how they seem to influence our life's course. Seems particularly relevant to blogging in some ways. I can't seem to link to it without my "real" name coming up on the page, so I won't link directly, but you can go to the Times site yourself and look it up. (Of course, maybe it's your name, not mine, that would come up when you follow the link, but who knows . . . .) The title is "This is Your Life (and How You Tell it)," the author is Benedict Carey, and it appeared May 22nd. It seems to be free even though it is older than one week old, perhaps because it is considered related to science or medical news.

Insomnia has brought me to the computer tonight as at other times. I just finished writing a paper for a conference I'm going to tomorrow and I should be sleeping so I can get up early and pack and then get on a couple of trains to go meet my friend who lives in the suburbs and is going to drive us the five hours it will take to get to Campus in the Middle of Big State to the Southeast. Or, I could in fact be packing now. But you know about me and packing.

I'm not sure why I'm not sleeping, except for some travel and conference anxiety. And the heat wave that has settled over Big City and my apartment in particular.

Notice how blase (you can imagine the accent over the e) I am about actually "finishing" a paper before the conference begins. The last conference saw me trying to write the paper in the hotel business center the morning of my presentation. I swore I would not let that happen again--the stress was too much even for me. This one is pretty much done, although I could tweak it a little and probably will if I have a moment. But in a pinch I could go on with it. Hurray for me.

Okay, time to go pray to the sleep gods.

Edited several hours later: Umm, that would be Big State to the Southwest--the conference is not taking place under water. Thought I should clear that up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home