Winter in the Big City

As a colleague and I were returning from lunch the other day, in the midst of the modest snowstorm we enjoyed here in Big City, I noticed how odd it was that the snow was sticking to one side of the trees only.
"Look at that," I said.
"I've never seen that in my life," my colleague said.
Then I remember that I had my camera with me, so I took some pictures.
A tall man hurrying by stopped and smiled at me. "It' s so pretty, isn't it?"
"Yes," I said. "We were noticing how the snow is only sticking to one side of the trees."
***
The open space between the two buildings, in the picture above, is Battery Park. You can imagine looking out towards New York Harbor and seeing the Statue of Liberty, on a clearer day.
Fans of a certain long-running TV show having to do with police and lawyers will recognize, in the building on the left, the site that is used to represent the courthouse steps in innumerable episodes. Although it looks like it could be a courthouse, and was once the Customs House, it is now a museum.
Today winter feels far away--the temp is supposed to go up to the high forties. I'm going to go out and enjoy it now.

3 Comments:
Wow. The way the snow is sticking is really interesting. I've never seen that before, either.
It made me think of what would happen if I tried to paint that particular scene, but with normally-placed snow.
Nice moody Russian-looking photos. You have captured a mood here.
FA
Todd and FA: Thanks for comments, glad you enjoyed!
Post a Comment
<< Home