Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Pause in the Action

I'm not actually finished with my grading, but I have a little bit of a grace period because my students are still sending me their final papers. Grades are due around January 3rd, so somewhere in the next week or so I will have to get back into the mode.

As my loyal readers know, I am a part-time college instructor but a full-time book editor. So my life feels a little too busy at times. Even when there is a break in the teaching gig, between semesters, the other job keeps going, But, finally, tonight, it's the beginning of the holiday weekend.

Christmas is going to be low-key this year. (Well, we're Jewish, but that's another story.) Usually, there is a family gathering at my sister's, but my nephew will be celebrating with his girlfriend's family, my niece and her husband and her two-year-old live overseas, and my brother, who is wheelchair bound after a stroke several years ago and lives in a nursing home nearby, let my sister know he did not feel like being brought over to her apartment for a gathering. So my sister and I will go visit my 88-year-old father, since it is hard for him to get around in any case. We will do what Jews are supposed to do on Christmas and eat Chinese food. But we will also exchange presents.

Last night I went out with some friends that I teach with, to see one of our colleagues perform at a  storytelling event. The challenge given to the audience was to figure out which two of the eight performers were telling a made-up story rather than a true one--or lying, in the ungentle terms of the event's title. The show was held at a performance space that was also a bar. It was utterly raucous and lots of fun. After the show was over my little group went to another bar, next door, and hung out with our friend who had performed and some of the other performers. We had some food and more drinks and rehashed the whole thing, talked about who we had thought was lying and why. Also about our students and our families and our plans for the holidays. I had way too much beer (especially for a work night!) but it felt good to let loose a little bit. 

Today I went to work, then braved the insanity at Macy's at Herald Square, then made my way home and ate a yogurt. Now I am lying on the couch under a blanket, awkwardly typing this on the little Netbook that is propped open on top of tme. The angles are all wrong and I think I am giving myself a repetitive stress injury in my left shoulder.

So, time to stop I think, and wish you all a peaceful and happy holiday weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

I'm looking forward to seeing you!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

jo(e): Me too, for sure! Will be in touch this week to go over plans...

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home