Countdown
A week from today, I will be arriving in Barcelona after an all-night flight. I am doing an "adventure"--or adventurish--vacation with a group, walking in Catalonia in the foothills of the Pyrenees.
I am starting to get excited--about being away, seeing something new, meeting new people, and most of all, being outside and walking every day.
Of course, I have yet to figure out if the new hiking boots fit properly, or even try to break them in. And there are lots of other things on my list to buy this week, all of which will have to be done in the evenings after work. And I want to clean my apartment, so that I don't come home to disorder.
But I suppose it will all work out. I can always use my old hiking boots if I need to. And I will find a way to get at least most of what I think I need to buy, or do, bought and done.
Other things:
Summer, and volleyball, and yoga, are still making me happy. My apartment is as hot as ever, since the work on rewiring the building seems to have stalled. But the prospect of hot nights in the apartment sometimes leads to spontaneous evenings out--last week I unplannedly went to a movie on Monday, out for drinks with people from work on Tuesday, and to the ballet on Thursday. The ballet was truly unexpected--a friend called Wednesday night to say he had an extra ticket for Giselle at ABT. Orchestra seats no less. Giselle is the most quintessentially romantic (and Romantic) ballet there is: ballerinas in diaphanous white dresses, peasants in colorful rustic clothing, trickery, unrequited love, moonlight ritual, visits from beyond the grave, and supreme forgiveness. And the dancing was phenomenal. I was practically swooning with pleasure the whole time.
Today I am off to see my brother, whose birthday was earlier this week. Must close now, but will write again soon.
I am starting to get excited--about being away, seeing something new, meeting new people, and most of all, being outside and walking every day.
Of course, I have yet to figure out if the new hiking boots fit properly, or even try to break them in. And there are lots of other things on my list to buy this week, all of which will have to be done in the evenings after work. And I want to clean my apartment, so that I don't come home to disorder.
But I suppose it will all work out. I can always use my old hiking boots if I need to. And I will find a way to get at least most of what I think I need to buy, or do, bought and done.
Other things:
Summer, and volleyball, and yoga, are still making me happy. My apartment is as hot as ever, since the work on rewiring the building seems to have stalled. But the prospect of hot nights in the apartment sometimes leads to spontaneous evenings out--last week I unplannedly went to a movie on Monday, out for drinks with people from work on Tuesday, and to the ballet on Thursday. The ballet was truly unexpected--a friend called Wednesday night to say he had an extra ticket for Giselle at ABT. Orchestra seats no less. Giselle is the most quintessentially romantic (and Romantic) ballet there is: ballerinas in diaphanous white dresses, peasants in colorful rustic clothing, trickery, unrequited love, moonlight ritual, visits from beyond the grave, and supreme forgiveness. And the dancing was phenomenal. I was practically swooning with pleasure the whole time.
Today I am off to see my brother, whose birthday was earlier this week. Must close now, but will write again soon.
7 Comments:
Wow, Barcelona. I want to go hiking in the foothills of the Pyrenees. Hell, I would take hiking pretty much anywhere that's not here right about now.
Hope you have a fantastic trip!
Only a week away? I'm so excited for you.
But hey, you ought to at least be wearing the hiking boots around your apartment to break them in a bit.
scrivener: thanks, I think it will be great.
jo(e): yes, of course, I should be breaking in the boots. too many things going on! I guess I'm half thinking I may just wear my old ones.
and, yes, I'm very excited....
Sounds like Big Fun.
Just don't let anyone pull the ol' bug in the eyebrow gambit on you. Again.
oooh, how exciting! I *loved* Barcelona, and I was there only for a bit more than 24 hours :-(
I'm a HUGE fan of GaudÃ, so I hope you get to see his works (cathedral, houses, Park Guell), but of course the hiking will be the focus of the trip, I'm sure.
Have a wonderful time! (and there's no way on earth you won't have it!).
Have a wonderful time. Can't wait to see your photos.
Clowncar: I'll try, but I can't promise. :)
Lilian and Jodi: thanks for the good wishes, I'm pretty sure I will have a great time. And I promise to post pictures!
Post a Comment
<< Home