Reading News
I read a lovely book this week: Love Falls, by Esther Freud, probably best known to most people as author of Hideous Kinky, a book I haven't read although I did see the movie.
In Love Falls, Freud captures amazingly well the resilient spirit of a 17-year-old girl confronting various kinds of first experiences while on a summer vacation in Tuscany with her father, whom she does not know very well. The book made me think of all kinds of things: of being 17, of Tuscany, where I was four years ago, and of being in love. It was nice to read something hopeful.
In Love Falls, Freud captures amazingly well the resilient spirit of a 17-year-old girl confronting various kinds of first experiences while on a summer vacation in Tuscany with her father, whom she does not know very well. The book made me think of all kinds of things: of being 17, of Tuscany, where I was four years ago, and of being in love. It was nice to read something hopeful.

5 Comments:
Sarah, I've put this on my Amazon list for two reasons: because you recommended it, and because of your last line: It was nice to read something hopeful.
Hopeful is good.
Bitty: yes, hopeful is good. I'll be interested to know what you think of the book. thanks for the comments....
Have you seen the movie "Persepolis" yet? If you haven't, I think you may really enjoy it.
Hopefully it's still playing somewhere in the theater there. Probably is, being CityNamedTwice and all. :)
Sorry I haven't been able to lurk much lately. It's been a crazy couple of months.
Todd, thanks for stopping by and for the movie rec. I haven't seen Persepolis, although I wanted to. Not sure if it's playing around still, in Big City. But there's always the DVD player. Oh, wait, I don't have one. Well, I've been meaning to buy one. :)
A DVD player is a big step up over a VCR. There's so much extra stuff that's only available on DVD's. It took me forever to get one, but once I did, there was no going back.
Post a Comment
<< Home