Saturday, September 19, 2009

Light and Shadow and Rushing Water

A couple of weeks ago, over the long holiday weekend, I visited a friend who lives in State Known for Maple Syrup and Beautiful Mountains, Not to Mention Cheddar Cheese.

The weather was brilliantly sunny, warm in the daytime and chilly at night. I was excited to see where my friend lives and to get away from the city for one last summer weekend. We did lots of hiking, she and I and her husband and their most adorable golden-haired poodle. I felt lucky to be among the trees and the mountains and the fresh-smelling air just at the time when the seasons are changing so palpably. It made the change feel real to me in the way that traveling by train (and I did that, too!) can make a journey seem more real than air travel.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clowncar said...

Love those granite slabs in the last shot. Were you able to scramble down there?

4:55 PM  
Blogger YourFireAnt said...

Oh lovely! And I agree on the train travel [which is the only way to go, if you ask me]. Sometime you ought to take the train that goes up to Montreal from there. It is worth it just for the trip throught the foothills and along Lake Champlain. I recommend doing it this time of year, or in early spring.

T.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

Clowncar: We actually approached that place from below, so it would have meant scrambling up--and, no, I wasn't that ambitious!

FA: Thanks for the suggestion!

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home