Friday, December 16, 2005

Countdown

Anyone else out there who would like to know already if the transit strike is on?

It's 1:00 a.m., the deadline is an hour past. Oh, just heard, the clock has officially been stopped. I think that means there is hope that an agreement will be reached. Such drama.

Which means, in turn, that I should go to bed, since my complicated, heavily transit-dependent day will go on as scheduled.

I have to admit there is this tiny part of me that has been hoping for a strike so I can stay home tomorrow (I took work home from the office, and my other obligations will be cancelled if there is a strike). And then I feel guilty, because the strike will cost the workers and the city a lot of money and be a catastrophe for the city economically and a huge inconvenience for all the people who don't have the option of taking work home, as I do. And then, of course, I realize, my secret thoughts have absolutely no effect on the negotiations going on at the Grand Hyatt. It doesn't matter whether I want the strike to happen or not. This realization is both annoying and something of a relief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home