Saturday, August 02, 2008

Even Happier



This is the kind of terrain I was hiking around in, in Catalonia. I had a great time. The trip was everything I could have wanted--a companionable group, beautiful and challenging hiking, a lovely, comfortable hotel in a charming village. Oh, and I got to speak lots of Spanish. The people in the area speak Catalan as their first language, but they were tolerant of, even encouraging toward, my Castilian Spanish.




The picture below shows the front of the hotel where we stayed. Now, picture 15 or so tired hikers gathering at the tables as we came back from our hikes, drinking beer and discussing our aches and pains as the late afternoon settled around us.


Below, a bridge that you had to cross to get to our hotel,which quickly became known as "the wobbly bridge." The sign says, in Catalan, that jumping is forbidden and that no more than ten people can cross the bridge at one time. Some of the people in my group took both prohibitions as a kind of dare.


A street in the village:



Other areas in the village were full of greenery and flowers:



And here is the group, stopping to rest on one of the hikes:

As Joni Mitchell once said (or sang) about a different European spot, I'd go back there tomorrow. (If not for . . . well, life, work, all of that.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Autumn Song said...

Sounds like you had a great time! And the pictures are really beautiful. What a lovely place.

I'm almost jealous...

11:10 AM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

autumn song: yes, it was beautiful. don't be jealous! be inspired to go there (or someplace like it). anyway, I'm back in the stew of reality now. I'm almost jealous, myself, of my last-week's self that was away.

9:32 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Oh, that looks just wonderful!

4:19 AM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

jo(e): it was, it was!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Clowncar said...

Lovely pictures.

So, do you work for the star maker machinery behind the popular song?

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photos. Glad you had a great time! I like your statement- jealous of last-week's self. Talking about wanting to plan a trip- I have a friend in Germany and I have thought of how I'd love to meet this friend in Paris. LoL Thinking of a time I can do that...

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After such an amazing trip, dare I say welcome back? :) I'm sure you'd rather be trekking around out there still.

Hopefully you post about a million more pictures! You had me hooked from the very first one.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

Clowncar: Glad you liked the pics! and that you got the allusion....I guess you could say I work for the star maker machinery of academic publishing (?). Doesn't have quite the same ring, alas.

Joy: yes, go to Paris!

Todd: thanks, it's always nice to be welcomed back. and glad you enjoyed the pictures. I'll post some more, just for you.... :)

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home