Saturday, January 15, 2011

Grateful

It's a wintry day in Big City, and I find myself thankful for, among other things:

--a roof over my head, indeed a space that is more than ample and comfortable for my needs, and that is warm on this cold day

--the three-day weekend and time to myself, time to rest after what has been an eventful couple of weeks that included a trip to the West Coast for a conference

--my sister, who loves me and is my companion and confidante

--Medicaid, which provides my father with the home care he needs so that my sister and I don't have to worry for a certain number of hours each day

--time, again, for that second cup of coffee today, and not having to go anywhere in particular. And oatmeal for breakfast, which comes from a box that was given to my father by Meals on Wheels. He doesn't care for oatmeal and gave it to me. So I like that too, that my father had something extra that he could give me.

--Upstate Friend, who came to visit with her most excellent son who loves jazz. We had a blast, did all kinds of big city things, including going out to hear music. You can read all about it on Upstate Friend's blog--scroll down through recent entries.

--Gloria Steinem, whom I had the great privilege of hearing speak recently. Her words reminded me of  what (because we are living in an age of backlash and because I am wistful about what I feel I have missed out on) I sometimes lose sight of: that there are worthy and honorable choices for women besides domesticity. And, here is what she had to say about raising children outside of the confines of traditional gender roles (I quote more or less as I remember):

"Children learn from what we do, not what we say. Every time a man spends time with his children and is nurturing and attentive toward them, a little boy is watching. And every time a woman walks by a mirror and complains about how she looks, a little girl is watching."
Powerful words, yes?

Okay, now I have to go do the laundry. More another time.

Oh, and just to add something visual, below is a picture taken the day after the December 26th blizzard here in Big City, on my street.

5 Comments:

Blogger L said...

A thankful heart does good not only to its owner, but also to those who are exposed to its thankfulness. That's how I feel after reading your post. It's easier to complain (as I often do) than to make an effort to feel thankful for the many many things we take for granted every day.

Thanks for warming my heart in this cold day! Hopefully we can plan to meet you next time we go to NYC!

p.s. and maybe someday I'll go to "big conference" again. When is it next year?

8:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

Thank you, Lilian! I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I would love it if we could meet in New York someday. "Big Conference" is January 5th through 8th next year, in Seattle. It will, from now on, always be held on the first Thursday through Sunday following January 2nd.

8:57 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Seattle? Oh, it might be worth going to Big Conference just for the location.

I love that I made your list! I so enjoyed the visit.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

Your Gloria Steinem quote reminds me that years ago, around Father's Day, Target stores had this message printed on their bags: "Don't worry that your kids never listen to you. Worry that they are always watching you." Another powerful message.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

jo(e): yes, you should come to Big Conference! and, yes, you are definitely on the list . . .

Terry: thanks for the comment, good to hear from you. And I like the Target message (although from an unlikely source, I think).

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home