Bits and Pieces
I was thinking the other night about one of jo(e)'s New Year's resolutions--about smashing the CDs that we don't like that play over and over in our heads. It's one of those things that sounds like it should be easy but is not. When the CDs are playing, I think they are true.
Here are some good things:
1) I just read a good book, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. Very funny and wise, about the power of reading.
2) This week I went to three different types of dance/movement classes: the combination cardio/yoga on Tuesday night, yoga at the gym on Wednesday night, and today a ballet/modern class at the dance studio where I go for the class on Tuesday nights. The class today was taught by a lovely dancer in her early 20s; the four of us who took the class (including my friend F., who runs the studio) are all in our late 40s. The teacher asked us to tell a little bit about our history with dance and we all had stories of how dance has woven in and out of our lives since childhood. For me less than the others but I have my story too. It was an odd feeling, reviewing even briefly that earlier life, and thinking, okay, now here we all are. I didn't know these women when I was younger, when I was in high school first taking dance (although I've known F. since shortly after college), but somehow it seems like we were supposed to find each other, arrive at today in each other's company. The class was mostly barre work, introductory stuff that we all kind of remembered. We giggled a lot as we were doing it. One of the women said, "I have this idea of how I look when I'm doing this, and then I look in the mirror and think, whoa, who is that." We all laughed ruefully, knowingly.
3) I like writing in this space and reading what other people are writing in their blogs.
Here are some good things:
1) I just read a good book, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. Very funny and wise, about the power of reading.
2) This week I went to three different types of dance/movement classes: the combination cardio/yoga on Tuesday night, yoga at the gym on Wednesday night, and today a ballet/modern class at the dance studio where I go for the class on Tuesday nights. The class today was taught by a lovely dancer in her early 20s; the four of us who took the class (including my friend F., who runs the studio) are all in our late 40s. The teacher asked us to tell a little bit about our history with dance and we all had stories of how dance has woven in and out of our lives since childhood. For me less than the others but I have my story too. It was an odd feeling, reviewing even briefly that earlier life, and thinking, okay, now here we all are. I didn't know these women when I was younger, when I was in high school first taking dance (although I've known F. since shortly after college), but somehow it seems like we were supposed to find each other, arrive at today in each other's company. The class was mostly barre work, introductory stuff that we all kind of remembered. We giggled a lot as we were doing it. One of the women said, "I have this idea of how I look when I'm doing this, and then I look in the mirror and think, whoa, who is that." We all laughed ruefully, knowingly.
3) I like writing in this space and reading what other people are writing in their blogs.
1 Comments:
Any kind of dance/movement exercise always makes me feel better. I think it's because I stop thinking when I do stuff like that.
Post a Comment
<< Home