Thursday, October 09, 2008

New Year

Today I walked in the beautiful park near my house and it made me remember walking in the mountains in Spain over the summer.

I felt emotional all day because it was Yom Kippur and I was remembering other Yom Kippurs, other seasons, and people that are gone now. And, as I always do on these Jewish holidays, I felt a little bit at a loss, not quite sure how to observe, how to feel it.

Walking in the park was lovely, though, joyous in fact, the weather just perfect, warm and sunny, utterly calming. I have these new prescription sunglasses (designer, I might add!) that are not only for distance but have the progressive lenses so I could read if I needed to--such a luxury. Anyway, when I walk with them on my eyes feel protected and safe, I see better than I do with my normal glasses because the prescription is newer, and everything has this warm, golden hue to it. So all of that was very comforting, as I tramped around the park, 3.5 miles, letting my thoughts range where they would, trying in my own way to prepare for the new year.

2 Comments:

Blogger YourFireAnt said...

Lovely post. The sadness, the goldenness....pure October. And I resonate with that protected sense when wearing glasses. I feel naked without mine if I'm reading in public.

Mazel tov!

FA

3:36 PM  
Blogger Sarah Sometimes said...

Thanks, FA!

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home