New Place
So, okay, here are the pics of my new spacious apartment that y'all have been clamoring for.

This is the view of the living room from the entryway/dining area. I have been trying to keep this room relatively neat and clear. You can see how bright and sunny it is.

And, here is another angle on the same room, taken on a different day so the light is a little different (also I needed to use the flash for the first picture). The door in the corner leads to the terrace, and the one to the right to the second bedroom/office space.

View from the terrace.

Another view from the terrace, this one including one of my favorite features of the new neighborhood: the backgammon players.
These guys, the backgammon players, are mostly very elderly and also very nattily dressed. They play from early morning until dusk. They start out on the sidewalk across from where they are in this picture, at a table under a tree in front of one of the apartment buildings. As the sun shifts, they move the table to another spot under the tree, following the shade. Then, in the evening, perhaps to accommodate more bystanders, they move across the service road to one of the benches on the pedestrian mall. (These malls run along on both sides of the broad street on which I now live, and they are put to good use by strollers, runners, bicyclists, and loungers.) One evening as I was walking along the street on my way home, I was startled to see thick smoke rising near the cluster of old men. I thought at first it was coming from a car that had overheated. Then, as I got closer I saw that one of the men was kneeling, tending to a flame that seemed to be coming out of some black snakelike device on the ground. Above the flame, standing on its three spindly legs, was a samovar. The men were making tea, out there on the parkway.

This is the view of the living room from the entryway/dining area. I have been trying to keep this room relatively neat and clear. You can see how bright and sunny it is.

And, here is another angle on the same room, taken on a different day so the light is a little different (also I needed to use the flash for the first picture). The door in the corner leads to the terrace, and the one to the right to the second bedroom/office space.

View from the terrace.

Another view from the terrace, this one including one of my favorite features of the new neighborhood: the backgammon players.
These guys, the backgammon players, are mostly very elderly and also very nattily dressed. They play from early morning until dusk. They start out on the sidewalk across from where they are in this picture, at a table under a tree in front of one of the apartment buildings. As the sun shifts, they move the table to another spot under the tree, following the shade. Then, in the evening, perhaps to accommodate more bystanders, they move across the service road to one of the benches on the pedestrian mall. (These malls run along on both sides of the broad street on which I now live, and they are put to good use by strollers, runners, bicyclists, and loungers.) One evening as I was walking along the street on my way home, I was startled to see thick smoke rising near the cluster of old men. I thought at first it was coming from a car that had overheated. Then, as I got closer I saw that one of the men was kneeling, tending to a flame that seemed to be coming out of some black snakelike device on the ground. Above the flame, standing on its three spindly legs, was a samovar. The men were making tea, out there on the parkway.
9 Comments:
All that space is so fantastic!
But the backgammon players are my favorite part.
Thanks!
FA
What a lovely apartment! It must be very expensive, though, living where you do.
nice digs! the backgammon players are cool indeed.
and you have a piano!
jo(e): yes, the space, and the backgammon players are both great...
FA: you're welcome!
BrightenedBoy: Well, it's all relative. New York is a costly place to live, but Brooklyn, where I live, is less expensive than Manhattan, and the part of Brooklyn I live in now is much less expensive than where I was living before.
Clowncar: Thanks! And, yes I have a piano. It's from my childhood, and I don't play it, really, ever, but I couldn't bear to part with it. And I have some idea of getting it tuned, which it badly needs, and starting to play again.
Awww, that's a nice, sunny apartment. Lovely! The red couch looks small in it, even.
Anyway, please, do email me, I'm so excited that you're going to Brazil? If there was an email in your blogger profile I'd have emailed you already, but then, it's good to come and pay you a visit. Especially when I'm greeted with nice apt. photos! ;-)
This summer we're planning to spend more than a few scattered hours in NYC, let me know if you'd like to meet the family :-D.
P.S. I almost forgot to mention the piano... my "real" piano is back in Brazil, but we do have an electric one. I'm sorry you can't play it... but glad that you kept it all these years.
The color of the wood and the walls together is so pretty. And all of the light.
I love the terrace and the pattern of the railing around it. And that you get to watch backgammon players.
Looks like a relaxing place to be in the city.
What an awesome place! And. . .wait a minute. . .is that the infamous cinnamon couch?
You should totally take up the piano again. It's there, waiting for you. :) Learn Beatles songs or something. No pressure, just good times.
For the record, I have the piano from my childhood, too. It belonged to my grandma, and then to my dad, and now to me.
Lilian, Jodi, Todd, thanks for the comments. I've been away (in South America--a great trip!) so am responding late. Todd, yes, that is the famous (or infamous)cinnamon couch!
Post a Comment
<< Home