What's New
There's been nothing but turmoil lately, it seems. Nothing life-threatening or anything like that, but some changes are happening in my professional life that have necessitated dusting off the old resume and getting it out there. I've been writing letters, making contacts, sending out writing samples, getting people to update their recommendation letters. All of this is somewhat exhilarating, somewhat scary, and definitely exhausting. While this is going on, I have been making my best effort to keep up with my teaching obligations (the teaching part of my career, which is a part-time gig, has fortunately not been affected by this turmoil). My long-suffering students did not blink an eye when I handed back their midterms only this week (the next-to-last week of the semester). I have two more sets of papers to grade this weekend that I hope to get back to them by Wednesday, the last day of class.
Also ongoing is the strand of worry and uncertainty about my father's situation. My father is 89 and lives alone, with the help of home care attendants who take care of him from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. every day. But his mobility is very limited and at night he is alone and prone to falling. This happened last night--he has one of those alarm buttons that he can press so the parademics came and picked him up and fortunately he was not seriously hurt. Still, it is worrisome to my sister and me that this happens, and so we keep wondering, is it time for the nursing home? Not just because he would be safer, presumably, but also less lonely.
And we would worry less. The other night, Wednesday night, I was teaching my class and a cell phone went off. I looked around, but I kind of knew immediately it was mine. Very embarrassing. I fished it out out of my bag, saw that my sister was calling, and said, "My sister. She should know better!" Everyone laughed. But then there was the beeping when she left a message, and when she sent a text a couple of seconds later. I was convinced that something must have happened with my father, if she was trying so hard to reach me when she knew I was in class. A couple of students stayed after class to talk to me about their research papers, but I had to ask them to excuse me while I listened to my sister's message, which, it turned out, was to let me know she was in the neighborhood having dinner with a friend and perhaps we could meet and take the subway back to Brooklyn together, if I was just finishing my class. That was a relief, but it took a little while for the adrenalin to subside.
So, there is a lot of tension and worry about various things. But, what I really am trying to get to is that, despite all the worry and tension, it is the weekend now, it is Saturday and I have that feeling of relief, of having fetched up on the rocks, with a calm and serene afternoon stretching ahead of me. I have grading to do, yes, but perhaps I will play the piano or go to a yoga class as well. And cook something for dinner. I have done as much as I can about the career issue right at this moment, made some deadlines for applications for various things, and now I can take a break, for a few days at least. And my teaching is ending next week for the summer, which will be a welcome break, much as I love it.
So that's my news. Will try to keep in better touch. Hope you are all thriving.
Also ongoing is the strand of worry and uncertainty about my father's situation. My father is 89 and lives alone, with the help of home care attendants who take care of him from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. every day. But his mobility is very limited and at night he is alone and prone to falling. This happened last night--he has one of those alarm buttons that he can press so the parademics came and picked him up and fortunately he was not seriously hurt. Still, it is worrisome to my sister and me that this happens, and so we keep wondering, is it time for the nursing home? Not just because he would be safer, presumably, but also less lonely.
And we would worry less. The other night, Wednesday night, I was teaching my class and a cell phone went off. I looked around, but I kind of knew immediately it was mine. Very embarrassing. I fished it out out of my bag, saw that my sister was calling, and said, "My sister. She should know better!" Everyone laughed. But then there was the beeping when she left a message, and when she sent a text a couple of seconds later. I was convinced that something must have happened with my father, if she was trying so hard to reach me when she knew I was in class. A couple of students stayed after class to talk to me about their research papers, but I had to ask them to excuse me while I listened to my sister's message, which, it turned out, was to let me know she was in the neighborhood having dinner with a friend and perhaps we could meet and take the subway back to Brooklyn together, if I was just finishing my class. That was a relief, but it took a little while for the adrenalin to subside.
So, there is a lot of tension and worry about various things. But, what I really am trying to get to is that, despite all the worry and tension, it is the weekend now, it is Saturday and I have that feeling of relief, of having fetched up on the rocks, with a calm and serene afternoon stretching ahead of me. I have grading to do, yes, but perhaps I will play the piano or go to a yoga class as well. And cook something for dinner. I have done as much as I can about the career issue right at this moment, made some deadlines for applications for various things, and now I can take a break, for a few days at least. And my teaching is ending next week for the summer, which will be a welcome break, much as I love it.
So that's my news. Will try to keep in better touch. Hope you are all thriving.
2 Comments:
oh dear, I'm sorry about the professional troubles and I hope something comes up of your searches ASAP so you don't have to be stressed out about this over the summer. Hey... we're coming to the Big Apple (we don't know yet where we'll be staying) around Labor day. My parents fly out of JFK on June 1st, so we thought we'd spend a few days doing the big city with the kids & grandparents. I'll be in touch via email/ fb about it, OK? Maybe this will be the first of many blogger meet ups this year, or so I hope! (I really really want to meet Jo(e) ASAP) ;)
Lilian, thanks for the support, and YES let's meet when you are in the Big City. (I assume you meant Memorial Day by the way? :). I have no particular plans as of yet and should be around. Keep me posted!
Post a Comment
<< Home