Also . . .
With the bad weather we have been having, there is not much opportunity for my 88-year-old father to get outside. The next-to-last time he went out, he fell, not because the ground was icy (we were between snowstorms), but because he was trying to negotiate a sloping entranceway into a store and open the door at the same time. In any case, he is prone to falling, even using his walker, and probably should not be going out by himself at all. He has health-care aides that come in the mornings but he likes to go out in the afternoon.
After that last fall, he spent a couple of weeks recuperating and did not go out. Although he had not hurt himself seriously, he had strained a muscle in his lower back and was in pain. Also, the weather was bad. About a week ago, we had a couple of mild days and my sister went out with him in the afternoon. But since then, he has been inside.
Tonight I spoke to him on the phone and he told me he felt like he was in prison. It is hard to hear that. And it is hard not being able to do anything, really, to change his situation.
After that last fall, he spent a couple of weeks recuperating and did not go out. Although he had not hurt himself seriously, he had strained a muscle in his lower back and was in pain. Also, the weather was bad. About a week ago, we had a couple of mild days and my sister went out with him in the afternoon. But since then, he has been inside.
Tonight I spoke to him on the phone and he told me he felt like he was in prison. It is hard to hear that. And it is hard not being able to do anything, really, to change his situation.

4 Comments:
I feel for your father. Back in 2007 I had ankle surgery and was really limited as far as mobility goes. I live alone and had trouble moving from my bed to a chair, let alone get outside.
Then, a year later I broke my leg! That time around I had a job, so I did get out with the help of para-transportation but I was again limited.
When you can't do for yourself, it is hard. I wish I had advice for him. :( Winter doesn't last forever BUT it seems like it!! I'll say a prayer that he finds ways to get outdoors. :)
MaryAnn
:-(
sad. though my Dad is 10 years younger, these things are beginning to rear their head with him as well.
"walking iinto the tall weeds," he calls it.
MaryAnn: Thanks for the comment. It sounds like you have had your share of mobility issues! Prayers gratefully accepted.
sko3: Thanks, nice to know you are out there.
Clowncar: Yes, it does start getting harder at that age. Tall weeds indeed.
Post a Comment
<< Home