Friday, December 23, 2005

Back to Normal

I thought I would have more notes from the strike to share, but I didn't try to go in to work on Thursday, which ended up being the last day of the strike. I'm glad it's over, and I hope the transit workers manage to get a decent contract even though they went back to work.

Today my office was closed for the holiday and I made my way into Manhattan in the late afternoon to do some holiday shopping. I felt more pleasant anticipation about taking the subway than I can ever remember feeling.

In my neighborhood station, it was relatively empty as I descended the stairs. Before I went through the turnstile and down the second set of stairs to the platform, I turned back and waved to the token clerk. "Welcome back," I said. She smiled warmly and waved back to me.

I tried the "welcome back" line on the conductor of the #2 train I eventually boarded and also on the token clerk at 72nd St. as I was leaving. Neither were particularly impressed. The conductor, an older man, said "thank you," but seemed almost angry, didn't look at me. The token clerk, a woman perhaps in her thirties, also said "thank you" but didn't look up from the newspaper she was reading behind the glass.

I don't know why I felt so compelled to reach out. I think I've been watching too much TV coverage of the strike and wanted to be part of the feel-good story about New Yorkers embracing the return of the subway workers. But also, I was sincerely glad to see them back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home